IMC PLAN B : ASSESSMENT 3 INSTRUCTIONS:
Brand : Newy Burger & Co – Newcastle ( Same Company As Assessment 2)
Word Count : 4000 words
Following on from Assignment 2, Assignment 3 requires you to develop a full IMC Plan specifying the marketing communications strategy for 1 year, given a budget of $100,000. You are to use the same company that you used for Assignment 2 (unless feedback was given advising you to pick another company) and include the sections that were completed for Assignment 2.
Once you have received feedback from Assignment 2, ensure that you read through and understand the comments made, to improve these sections of the report for this assignment. Remember that this is a report, so the flow of argument is important. Each section should build upon the previous sections and support the overall argument being made (What is your Big Idea? Is this explained or acknowledged throughout your report?).
The essential components of Assignment 3 are as follows:
Response to Feedback
The Big Idea
Draft Communications Materials
Evaluation of Effectiveness
Please refer to the Assignment 3 Instructions document for details on each of these sections.
1.1 Purpose of Assignment 3 The purpose of this assessment is for students to apply all IMC content covered in the course to a real-life business context and create a thorough IMC plan. 1.1.1 Course Learning Outcomes This assignment addresses the Course Learning Outcomes of:
- Outline the nature of IMC and describe its environment;
- Explain how to set IMC objectives and formulate an IMC budget;
- Evaluate creative strategies in the light of given marketing objectives and strategies;
- Analyse and evaluate the cost effectiveness of various forms of media;
- Explain the behavioural factors that influence the effectiveness of communications;
- Describe the various control mechanisms to evaluate activities; and
- Prepare an IMC Plan.
1.2 Assignment Description and Instructions Following on from Assignment 2 (IMC Plan Part A), Assignment 3 requires you to develop a full IMC Plan specifying the marketing communications strategy for 1 year, given a budget of $100,000. You are to use the same company that you used for Assignment 2 (unless feedback was given advising you to pick another company) and include a section that addresses the feedback left to you in the IMC Plan Part A assignment.
1.3 Assignment Components The sections you will need to include for this full IMC Plan are: 1. Response to Feedback Provide a response to the feedback given for the IMC Plan Part A assignment. Identify the strengths and weaknesses of your plan, drawing upon the feedback you were given by the marker. The marker should be considered your client here – so in this response you are addressing the ‘clients’ concerns and points they have provided. Explain here how the feedback you were provided with has been addressed and taken on board when creating this IMC Plan.
- The Big Idea Identify and explain the ‘Big Idea’ of your IMC campaign. Include the following to help explain this ‘Big Idea’: • Create a title/name for your campaign • Provide a brief description of what your campaign will try to achieve (this should link to the objectives given in the following section)
- Communications Objectives State at least two communications objectives. These objectives will be what your IMC strategy for the year will be trying to achieve. Use the Facets Model of Effects to support your objectives. Base the objectives on a specific facet or a strategic combination of facets.
- Target Audience Identify and explain the target audience for the proposed IMC strategy. Apply multiple segmentation bases to specifically define the segment. Briefly explain here if the chosen segment is in line with their current target audience.
- Media Platforms Identify and explain the various media platforms you have chosen (e.g. Facebook, television, outdoor advertising, radio). Justify the choice of platform by linking to the target audience and objectives of your campaign. You will need to pick a range of media platforms, not just one. There is no maximum amount or ‘perfect’ amount, sometimes the budget will determine how many platforms you can include. Keep in mind that you will need to develop a draft communications material for EACH of the media platforms you choose.
- Platform Objectives Identify and explain the platform objective for EACH of your chosen media platforms that were identified in Section 5 (Media Platforms). The platform objectives should have a clear link to the overall communication objectives (Section 3 of the report). Make sure to consider the reach and frequency aiming to be achieved by each platform.
- Platform Synergy Briefly discuss how the media platforms will integrate to achieve the overall campaign objectives and will deliver the ‘Big Idea’. Discuss both how the media platforms integrate AND how the objectives stated integrate as well. In other words, explain how the different platforms will work together to deliver the ‘Big Idea’, achieve the overall campaign objectives, and how the objectives set for each platform work together.
- Draft Communications Materials Provide a draft communication material for EACH of the media platforms you have chosen (e.g. social media post copy and/or image, a storyboard for a YouTube video/TV ad, the copy to use for a radio/podcast advert, a draft image for a print ad). You can put the draft communications materials in the body of the report OR in an appendix. You will be marked on the components of the draft communications materials (choice of visuals, text, layout). This is not a course in graphic design, you do not need to provide perfect or final advertising communications. This section is not counted in the word count. You will lose marks if you do not provide a draft material for a platform that was identified in Section 5.
- Message Strategy Identify and explain the message strategy for each of draft communications materials you have provided. You can structure this section in terms of the media platforms chosen (use subheadings to improve structure). There should again be links to the Facets Model of Effects here – e.g. Emotion facet is targeted by employing an emotional appeal through the images of the advert. Discuss the reasoning behind your creative choices (visuals and text) linking to theory wherever possible.
- Media Scheduling Provide a schedule for when EACH of the media platforms will be used throughout the 1-year period. Justify and support your choice of scheduling for each media platform. Your schedule should be easy to follow and aesthetically pleasing to view. You are encouraged to use a table or Gantt Chart to present the timeline. Think about whether pulsing, continuous or flighting strategy will be used for the relevant media platforms. Again, you may also need to consider budget restraints when scheduling your media.
- Budget Based on your media scheduling and choice of media platforms, you will need to provide a budget for the proposed campaign. You have a limit of $100,000 – make sure you consider this BEFORE getting to this stage of the report. Your budget should include all media expenses, there is some guidance to help, provided on canvas. Some media companies are willing to share cost information, use this wherever available. You can show this information in a table, but make sure there is enough information presented to explain the budget and costings.
- Evaluation of Effectiveness Identify and explain how the campaign will be measured in terms of effectiveness. For each of the media platforms chosen you will need explained how effectiveness will be evaluated, you can have the same measure for multiple platforms if appropriate. Consider the feasibility of your suggested evaluation technique e.g. a small organization will not be able to run a large-scale research project to determine the effectiveness of a campaign. If any costs are involved in the evaluation stage, this should still be included in the budget. Other Information: There will also be marks given for logic and argument, and formatting. You will need to have a logical and critical analysis that is well-researched and justified.
A minimum of 12 academic sources are required for this assignment.
- Include an executive summary (no more than 1 page), this is not included in word count (it is including as part of your format mark)
- This is an individual assignment, do not work in a group
- Feedback from assignment 2 should be used and applied to this assignment
- You can use an appendix to show your draft communications materials. This is not included in the word limit and should be placed after the reference list in your report.
- Have an appealing title page to create a professional report (this is part of your format mark)
- Include a table of contents (this is part of your format mark)
- 4,000 word limit (+/- 10%) • Rubric available on Canvas • 50% of final grade
- Due Sunday end of Week 12, 11.59pm AEST • Submit via Canvas
FEEDBACK FROM ASSIGNMENT 2:
* The business background & Current IMCs sections describe the current situation quite well. A bit of discussion was needed in terms of their IMC performance and how a new campaign could support their business. Depth of analysis was limited with emphasis on describing current activities. * The analysis of the inspiration campaigns could use a better discussion of the reasons why they inspired you and which specific IMC elements in the campaigns led you to select it for your new campaign. * How are the inspiration campaigns relevant for your target audience? * The target audience section would benefit from a more specific identification of the marketing persona that will be targeted with the new campaign. It needs elaboration and further justification. * The big idea was a bit generic and it lacked clear elaboration. I had some difficulty following the logic of the campaign idea and what exactly it was all about.