LUBM301- Entrepreneurship Assessment
Module Leader: Dr. Zillur Rahman
Canvas & JIRA Deadline: Tuesday 8th December 2020 by
At the end of this module, you will be able to:
LO1: Identify and analyse the theories and concepts of entrepreneurship.
LO2: Recognise and analyse the essential elements of the entrepreneurial activities,
including the role of the entrepreneur in stimulating economic growth, discovering
business ideas, innovation, resource issues, business planning and strategies for growth.
LO3: Analyse and evaluate the opportunity recognition process of entrepreneurs.
LO4: Evaluate research relating to entrepreneurship, gender, ethnicity, family business
and small business.
LO5: Apply analytical and enterprise skills in evaluating an entrepreneurial business.
Successful completion of the module’s learning outcomes will be evidenced by 3,500
You are asked to write an individual essay, not exceeding 3,500 words and excluding
references. The assessment for this module draws on your reading and learning from
the lecture and tutorial sessions. The essay will test all learning outcomes.
• Assignment Question
Select a live business of your choice whether it be a small, large, family business or a
social enterprise and then critically discuss its contribution to the economy and society
by throwing light on its survival during the recent global issue (Coronavirus).
See below for details Guidance on Essay Structure, Assessment Criteria and Marking
It is important to do some preliminary research via Google to make sure that the business
you are selecting is live and not dead. You can do this by finding the contact information
on the business website. It will also be useful to read the business annual reports or other
publicly available company performance data.
Explain your arguments in the light of your knowledge, understanding, experience and
observation of the entrepreneurs behind the business, entrepreneurial theory and
practice as covered in the lectures and tutorials, and the nature of the business under
You are advised to write up to 3,500 words. This word limit does not include the title
page, the executive summary, the contents page, the organization profile, tables,
diagrams, appendices or references. You must include an accurate word count on your
This is an ESSAY and so must be presented in an essay format and style.
This is an academic piece of work therefore you are expected to link theory and practice.
You should take care to ensure that the work you submit has a high standard of
presentation. You must provide supporting evidence for your arguments and use a wide
range of resources including academic literature from journals, textbooks and so on.
This is an individual assignment. You must acknowledge your sources of information
and evidence using the Harvard referencing system. All assignments are subject to the
University’s regulations on collusion and plagiarism and must be submitted in
electronic form for checking on Canvas for Turnitin and the Turnitin report must be
submitted to JIRA along with your assignment.
The essay should be submitted on 8th December 2020 at 14:00.
For advice on essay writing skills, you are encouraged to consult the resources on the
module and the following site for use of the Harvard referencing system:
Your attention is drawn to the university’s policy on plagiarism. Information about how
to avoid plagiarism can be found by visiting the following link:
Essay Structure and Contents
1. Title Page
2. Table of Content
• Define and explain what is meant by entrepreneurship.
• Give a brief overview of the organisation (Note: an organisation profile must
be included in your submission as “Appendix 1”)
• Explain the structure of the essay
• The introductory section should not be less than 250 words
4. Main Body
A. About the Entrepreneur (or group of entrepreneurs) who was Behind the
Organisation- about 1,000 words
• Critically discuss the personality traits of the entrepreneurs
• How did the entrepreneur recognise the opportunity or did the
entrepreneur create the opportunity?
• What are the innovative products/services introduced in the market?
Discuss why innovation is important for an organisation.
B. About the Entrepreneurial Organisation- about 8,00 words
• How did the entrepreneur build the entrepreneurial team?
• Explain the entrepreneur’s role as leader and what it takes to become a
• How did the entrepreneur grow the business (if it is large organisation)?
You can include the role of family members, gender differences if it is
C. About Contribution to the Economy and Society- about 1,200 words
• Discuss and evaluate the contribution to the economy, i.e., job creation,
new production innovation, wealth creation etc.
• Evaluate the survival issues (due to the global pandemic)
5. Conclusion and Recommendations (if any)- about 200-250 words
Summary Assessment Criteria
1. Relevance: Directly relevant to the requirements of the assessment. (10%)
2. Knowledge: A substantial knowledge of relevant material, showing a clear
grasp of themes, questions and issues therein. (20%)
3. Analysis: Good analysis, clear and orderly (20%)
4. Argument and structure: Coherent and logically structured, using an
appropriate mode of argument and/or theoretical model(s). (20%)
5. Critical evaluation: Contains distinctive or independent thinking; may formulate
an independent position in relation to theory and/or practice. (10%)
6. Presentation: Well written, with standard spelling and grammar, in a readable
style with an acceptable format. (10%)
7. Reference to literature: Critical appraisal of up-to-date and/or appropriate
literature. Recognition of different perspectives. Good use of a range of
(See marking scheme below for more detailed guidance)
LUBM301 Marking Scheme and Generic Assessment Criteria
LUBM301- Entrepreneurship Assessment